12 October 2007

Putting the "Mika" in Roni

I keep meaning to go to bed, but it just hasn't happened yet. After sleeping through my alarm this morning and having a long nap after dinner, I don't really feel tired at all. Sitting at the computer is probably not the best use of my time...surely I have homework to do, dishes to wash, laundry to put away, and so on...

Lately I've been trying to figure out exactly what it is that I enjoy doing. I remember once in high school my mom told me that I didn't have any real interests of my own, and that I just absorbed the identities of my friends. At the time I was highly offended as only teenagers can be, but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe she had a point after all. Many of my favorite books are ones that I read because a close friend loved them; I like making cards, but I only started because Krista was doing it; I really like playing Zelda, but the Romgi talked me into that. Sudoku? Krista. Blogging? Maybe me. Our pets? The Romgi. Saving the world through microcredit? An FHE lesson my dad gave years ago.

So what things are Roni-ish? I would like to bake and cook, but constraints of time, money, and talent get in the way. I'd like to learn photography, but I don't think my work would be anything much compared to what others do. I think part of the problem is I realize there are many people with exceptional skill, and my attempts at hobby-ing couldn't begin to reach those levels of achievement. I'm torn, though, because I really do want to do something that is enjoyable in and of itself, without comparison to what anyone else can do; besides, how can I get better if I never try?

What I'm thinking of doing is getting a long-letter penpal. Apparently there is an actual group of people, women mainly, who want to correspond through lengthy paper letters. I love the idea, because it reminds me of Anne's letter-writing. I think it would be fun to have a "snail mail" friend, especially since so much of my contact with people is through email and blogs. It could be nice to get a long letter in the mail every few weeks.

So...is that an ok Roni thing to do? Can you think of anything I do that makes me me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I learned at BYU is that there's always someone who's better at all the things you do than you are. But that doesn't make anyone and their efforts invalid. Every thing you do has a little "Mika" stamp of uniqeness to it. Dad always points to Picasso's bicycle-parts bull's head sculpture as an example of using something that belongs to someone else that isn't copying. Your response to a book that someone else really liked will be a personal response. And having the ability to see things other people do that would be enjoyable to you also is a talent, not a drawback. Besides, it's kinda hard to find something no one else has before!

I don't remember saying the quote attributed to me, so I don't know the context and how valid I would think it is today.

And, I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. I got to thinking that I might object if I were in your position. At least with my parent!

the romgi said...

that is pretty much what I thought when I read the blog too... So I guess all I can really add is that just because somebody else introduced an idea to you doesn't mean that you are copying them by liking it :).

Krista said...

I started doing Sudoku because I read once somewhere that you liked doing Sudoku with a pen and I wanted to be like you! How funny.

monsterface said...

how many times have i tried to be like you???

is that your mom up there? i'm not sure. but whatever she said was exactly right on. everything you do comes from your perspective and has your thoughts, feelings and a lifetime of your experiences behind it.