19 October 2007

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

A Novel in Words and Pictures
by Brian Selznick

I heard about this book from the Provo Library's list of recommended young adult novels. A few weeks ago, the Romgi and I were in the BYU bookstore and saw that it was on sale; I've really been wanting a book to read, so the Romgi was nice enough to coerce me into buying it. School has been busy (midterms, yuck) but today I finally got a chance to sit down and read it.

And? I think it's a great book. The story is not superbly written, and definitely doesn't compare with my other favorites (Harry Potter, Phantom Tollbooth, Inkspell), but the way everything was presented was fantastic. It really is a novel in words and pictures: Selznick is a great artist and a lot of the book is his drawings. They serve to further the plot, not just illustrate what has already been said. Altogether the book is about 500 pages, but I read it in a little over an hour.

I definitely think you should check it out sometime, because it's a really unique approach to storytelling.

No comments: