22 May 2005


the notorious "mosquito hawk" Posted by Hello

last night there was one of those bugs in our kitchen -- you know, some people call them "mosquito hawks" and some people call them "mosquito eaters" and they look like...well, giant mosquitos. (yes it is ok to leave out the e in the plural form. I checked.) I was washing dishes at the time and got to wondering, what on earth is this bug really called? does it eat mosquitos? is it a mosquito of some form?

so thanks to my handy-dandy google search, I discovered that the bug is actually a crane fly. you can read more about it here. interesting, huh? who knew there were flies that big! so...now you know what the bug is really called, and we can all stop calling it a mosquito thing. huzzah for google!

No comments: