25 January 2008

Ella Enchanted

When I first bought my own copy of Ella Enchanted, the Romgi was on his mission in Korea. Our communication with each other was limited to writing letters. Although it was frustrating at times to not be able to talk with him in person, or even in real time by phone or instant messaging, I really think it did us good to have delayed communication. It meant that each letter was thoughtful, carefully worded, important.

Tonight I read Ella Enchanted again before bed. I love Char's letters to Ella and the way she describes wanting to tell him jokes and send him recipes, to have him there as a friend. At the risk of sounding a little too sappy, I'd like to say how glad I am that the Romgi and I got to be such close friends by writing letters, and how wonderful it is to be married now.

Especially when I can't sleep because the stereo in the other room is making weird noises that sound like a burglar in the house, and the Romgi loves me enough to get up in the middle of the night to turn it off. What a husband.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can combine all of the literary men I always thought would be wonderful husbands (Prince Char, Taran, Adaon), and they don't compare to my real-life best friend.

I think that satisfies my monthly sappy post quota...

3 comments:

Sposita said...

I have to say, that was one of the things I loved most about writing to Bryan on his mission. If he hadn't been such a good letter writer, we probably wouldn't be married today! =)

Anonymous said...

We met just before the end of school, and there's no way we would have gone on any actual dates if it hadn't been for letters over the summer. My favorite memory was of a circled spot with a note that said "smell this." Unfortunately, he forgot to add the cologne!

Unknown said...

I'll just add another plug for the letters. There's something that makes me melt just a little bit more when I can keep it right with me for a good long time.